Labia reduction is a procedure to reduce the size and length, or reshape the labia minora (the inner lips) and/or the labia majora (the outer lips). The labia minora are necessary to cover the clitoris and vaginal opening and can be surgically reduced while still maintaining their necessary function. The labia majora can also be decreased in size by reducing fat deposits. Common reasons patients elect to have this procedure are for:
- Cosmetic reasons. Enlarged labia may cause self-consciousness during intimacy and can also cause embarrassment if they are visible when wearing tightly fitted clothing or bathing suits. The procedure restores confidence and self-esteem to women who are self-conscious about the appearance of their labia minora.
- Discomfort. Sometimes enlarged labia cause discomfort during exercise or intercourse. Labiaplasty surgery resolves any issues with irritation, rubbing and visibility.
- Intimacy concerns. Enlarged labia can interfere with sexual pleasure and may even cause discomfort during intercourse.
I think this is for me
Labiaplasty is very personal. You should take your time considering if the procedure is the right way for you to achieve your body goals. But, you don’t have to do it alone. Dr. Ridha is a double board-certified plastic surgeon with many accomplished years of experience, who also graduated valedictorian from the Mount Sinai School of Medicine (Cabrini) program in Manhattan. He has the knowledge, practical experience, and reliable bedside manner to guide you through your decision-making process to a satisfied outcome.
Call and make an appointment
Our dedicated, friendly staff can arrange for a consultation around the busiest schedules. This first visit is very important. You should come to your appointment focused on the matter at hand with a list of your expectations and concerns, as well as unguarded openness and honesty. Being up-front with Dr. Ridha is the key to a successful and safe procedure. With your active involvement, he can help you through every step of the process in confidence. Your first visit may include:
- A candid talk about why you are considering labiplasty and what you hope to achieve
- An evaluation of your general health and examination of your concerns.
- Informative discussions about the benefits and risks of the procedure, the surgical facility, how to prepare for surgery, and how to recover
What can I expect?
You will go into surgery with a detailed plan created by yourself and Dr. Ridha. Surgeries are unique to every patient, but most include the following steps.
Labiaplasty is usually performed on an outpatient basis, which means you need to arrange for someone to drive you to and from surgery. Also, someone must be with you for at least the first night following surgery.
The procedure is performed while you are sedated or under general anesthesia. Reshaping is performed and the incisions are typically closed with removable and absorbable sutures.
Recovery commonly takes 24 to 48 hours, which is followed by a reduced-activity period of a few days. Surgical incisions must not be subjected to excessive force, abrasion, or motion during healing. Most patients experience soreness and swelling for a few weeks, which is normal. Soon after, swelling will subside and incision marks will fade.
The final results will become apparent within two weeks when swelling has subsided.
Everything you need
- Before & After
- Have a question?